Tuesday, September 3, 2019

WHAT WHOULD JANE THINK?

Hi,
Thanks for joining me on my journey to complete Jane's Legacy quilt replica.  I guess saying" D.J."  is illegal or something? I don't know..

While working on this quilt, I often wonder what Jane would think of what would become of the quilt that she created?  It's hard to wonder what the future holds for the beautiful things we create.  Will others understand and appreciate the patience and time it took to make your creation?  Let alone that people appreciate what you did so much that they make their own version?  It's pretty mind-boggling.

I've had the book since it was first published.. then I bought the EQ5 program.  I never started it for many reasons.  One of them being, I never really like to make something that so many others are making.  I didn't want to hand piece and worry about seam allowances etc, I didn't want to machine piece and have to sit at my machine for long periods fiddling around with small blocks.. AND, I just couldn't decide on colors for a project.  I really like black and brights, so I thought of doing that, but just never did.  Not until a couple of years ago, (2017) when PAPER PIECES developed a pack of English paper piecing papers for the entire quilt.  And they had a quilt-along.

Now, I had never done English paper piecing before, so this was going to be a new experience.. kind of learn as I go along.  I decided on colors.. a more patriotic version reds, "whites ", and Blues.. Many of the fabrics were Moda, many were from Primitive Gatherings, so it is more "country" colors.

This post is just an introduction.  My plan, and the reason that I started this blog was to post as I make blocks.  I hope to share tips and tricks to piecing a Dear Jane Quilt using English Paper piecing.  Although I have quilted my whole long life, I am new to English Paper Piecing (EPP) so I would welcome any comments if you have found easier ways to do things.

Also, with the exception of comments I may have made in my project book, I am going to start may of the tips on row C.

I started making my blocks in 2017, but after sashing all of the blocks, I took a break when I started joining the rows.  I didn't realize until I picked up the project again that TWO years had gone by.. It really didn't seem like that long, I'm ashamed to say..

I have figured out a trick to take the boring out of joining the long rows by hand. I will be sharing it as I go along..

I am going to enjoy the journey, I hope that you do too!

2 comments:

  1. I recently learned the 'flat back' stitch for EPP...it seems terrific for keeping the stitches from showing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suze, I have kind of adapted it to fit my way of sewing. My friend does it with the pieces laying flat on a surface. I can't do it that way. I hold mine and kind of angle the pieces to catch the back so that the stitches don't show on the front. I'll snap a picture at some point to show you.

      Delete

STILL THINKING ABOUT IT

 After finally finishing all of the blocks for the center, and one border, I've probably taken too long of a break.. I still have 3 bord...