Saturday, September 21, 2019

D-1, D-2, D-3, D4

 D-1

This row I decided to see if some of the blocks could be made more like the original.  This block was modified for EPP  it basically had 4 squares in the center with one crosshatch to separate them.  I have the Dear Jane Electric Quilt program, so I printed out a paper pieced version for this.  That way I could ad the diagonal piece across each square.  I then glued it onto a 3x5 piece of card stock and joined the borders in the normal EPP way.

 D-2

I had a difficult time with this block.  I wanted it to be like the original so I paper pieced the corner triangles.  The original had a little blue triangle at the bottom of each corner piece so it looked like a half square triangle with the little white triangle in the center.  The paper piecing went okay, but I just couldn't get a good match for the hst.  H appliqued all of the center snowballs down and joined it all up anyway.. First try in the garbage.  I fiddled with this block for a long time.  finally I decided to give up the idea of the HST and pieced it like the modification.  The only change I made was to the center.  I pieced a small square to the center instead of going with applique there.  
 I folded the pieces leaving each circled area open so that those could be folded over the edge of the center paper piece.  It looks much better that way. 

In this picture, you can see the paper pieced corner sections and how the little blue triangles don't match.  Afterwards, I thought that I could have appliqued triangles there.  But making this block twice was enough. 

 
 D-3
This was also a modified block.  Instead of one piece like I made, they had 4 pieces that met in the middle.  I don't know why they would do that.. But I made mine like the original and appliqued the one piece down, and then glued it to the 4.5" piece of card stock included for EPP.

 I used my light pad to position the block before I glued it down. 

D-4

This was another modified block.  But, I attempted to make this by paper piecing the borders with the triangles.. I even did the Y- seams, appliqued on the leaves, but my one mistake was that I forgot to leave enough seam allowance to turn over the edge of a 4.5" card. 

 I finally ended up appliqueing all of it as was intended by the modification in the first place.  I liked the pieced version,but this one will work out just as well.


Until next time.....Happy Stitching! T

No comments:

Post a Comment

STILL THINKING ABOUT IT

 After finally finishing all of the blocks for the center, and one border, I've probably taken too long of a break.. I still have 3 bord...