Monday, September 9, 2019

C-7, C-8. C-9

I think that around this point, after dragging everything out every time I made a block, I decided to prep the rest of the blocks in the row. It took a while, but I'm glad that I did it.  Now I just pull out the ziploc with the pieces and get to work. Plus it breaks up monotony.. a big thing for me.  I don't want to stop again.


 C-7

This block to quite a bit of pre-planning.  For the pieces with the appliqued diamonds, I cut triangles, and rectangles at larger sizes than required.  I used a pencil to draw a straight line to position the diamonds on.  I left the paper's in, and stitched the pieces down. then I slit the back and pulled the paper out.  This still didn't alleviate all of the bulk in the tips, but, at least the edges are straight.
When I finished with the applique, I used a LIGHTPAD 
to position the pieces.  I tacked the paper down with a little glue, and trimmed the seam allowance to the appropriate size.

I did all of this as prep-work.  After the pieces were ready to sew together, I put them into a ziploc until I was ready to make the block. 

C-8
I am finding that I like using more than one fabric for the main color.  I like the print for this one, but it wouldn't have looked right in the tiny pieces.  This was not that difficult.  Just start from the center and work out in sections.  I did the square in square first, then attached finished corners.  The short outer corners are applied first, the the longer triangles last.



I also wanted to show that I sew the sashes and cornerstones on as I go along.  When I get 3 or 4 blocks made, I sew them together and join them to the row.  No more long endless seams for me.   





C-9

The author called this block "Jane's Tears"  This is the one block that I didn't change to a family or friend's name.  I can see many a tear shed making this quilt.  I would give them to Jane. 

The hardest part for me making this easy block, is I had to cut the background pieces again so that I could get the print going in the direction that I wanted. 

In prep, I appliqued the tears onto oversized triangles then used a lightpad to position them.  This was an easy block because by the time I pulled the 4 pieces out of the ziploc, all I had to do was sew them together.  I'm hoping at some point to figure out the best way to applique.  They just don't look smooth around the edges to me.  I kept the papers on, and removed them from the back... but I have a motto..


Happy stitching!  T





































No comments:

Post a Comment

STILL THINKING ABOUT IT

 After finally finishing all of the blocks for the center, and one border, I've probably taken too long of a break.. I still have 3 bord...