Saturday, September 28, 2019

D-8, D-9, D-10


D-8

This wasn't a difficult block.  The trick is to get the points to meet in the center and straight lines.  This can be accomplished by using a ruler and a pencil to draw a cross to follow when laying out pieces. If you set the tips of the ovals on the line, everything will be straight.  Although this could also be done for the corner diamonds, it isn't really necessary.  as long as the center ovals line up, the corner pieces should line up easily.   I like to keep the fabric on the paper pieces to applique.   I apply some glue on the fabric that is turned over on the back of the paper and press it into place.  I do one piece at a time.  Once the four are on, take a stitch through all four tips and securely draw together.  I have found that makes it look more perfectly lined up.  Then glue the entire block onto a 4.5 piece of fabric. 


D-9

I made the EPP modification of this block. It wasn't difficult, I didn't think to match the plaid in the center piece.. But I remembered my motto..
Work from the center out.  Make the center 7 piece square first. Attach a rectangle to each side, then a rectangle with 2 triangles to the opposite sides.  Last attach the 3 piece corner units.. then your block is finished.


D-10

With this block, I decided to piece the original as I still had to modify how I made the EPP version.
I absolutely hate EPP half square triangles!!!  At first, I thought that I would machine paper piece the entire center and attach it to card stock.  I tried several different ways to do it.
finally,
I printed out a paper piece pattern onto card stock.  Then I made HST using THANGLES 
which is the absolutely easiest way to make HST.  then I put the card stock pattern onto the finished HST and glued.  I did this with the pieces for the modified version too.  But I decided that I could just as easily make the original version.  Well... not entirely easy, it isn't perfect, but I like it better.  Sometimes it is worth the extra time to make the original and sometimes it just isn't.



Keep stitching!!!  T

No comments:

Post a Comment

STILL THINKING ABOUT IT

 After finally finishing all of the blocks for the center, and one border, I've probably taken too long of a break.. I still have 3 bord...