Wednesday, March 4, 2020

ROW G


When I made this row, I worked out of order depending on what I was doing. For instance I didn't make G2 until last.  So I am putting up the whole row in this post. 

I made the row in two weeks which is a record for me.  I'm finally getting the hang of things. 

G-1

This block wasn't difficult.  The techniques that I used were EPP and applique.  I like the stripes, but they were difficult to line up when they come to a point in the center of the block.  


The tip for this block is instead of clipping deep curves that would ultimately weaken the seam, I appliqued the curves in.  this worked out very well, and I continued to do this for the curved blocks in the rest of the row.

G-2

This block was entirely machine paper pieced, and set into the rest of the row with EPP.  I highly recommend SUSAN GATEWOOD website for paper piecing patterns.  I do have the Electric Quilt Software, but Susan lays out her paper piecing in a more logical manner.  Also, if you want a block to look more like the original block, I would choose these patterns over the modified versions for EPP. 

G-3

This block.  I made this block a total of 3 times, with the petal once more
 

The top left block is Jane's Original block. I didn't want the modified for EPP version which included sections of the border pieced together. So I printed out a pattern  from Electric Quilt, and appliqued the border in one piece.  I wasn't happy with my first attempt (top right) the border was too wide, and the petals didn't have a nice curve.  So my second attempt I appliqued the border in one piece, and used the 4 piece modified version for the center.  I thought I was just going to go with that. But no.. I was completely obsessed.  So I went to the Gatewood site, and used her pattern.  Her border was narrow which was good.  I needed to enlarge the petals a little, but they have the appropriate curve.. After so many tries, I'm going with this one.  Not perfect, but better.  

G-4

This little pineapple block was pretty straightforward.  Based on the original, machine paperpieced, and set into the row by EPP

G-5

This block was EPP.  The center section was appliqued in like I did with G-1

G-6

I had a little trouble with this block.  I did attempt to machine paper piece it all, but, I just didn't like how it turned out. The modified EPP version came with a blank center section.  At first I thought I would fussy cut some sort of a star for that section.  But I didn't have any print that would work, and I really wanted the little star like Jane put in hers.  So I machine paper pieced the tiny sawtooth star.  because of the thick seams I was unable to wrap it around the center paper so I reverse appliqued it in.  I don't really like the look of the square in the pentagon, but I don't know of any other way to get it done.. I wish I could see a close up of Jane's to see how she did it!
In this picture, you can see what I had to work with.

G-7

This block was made by EPP and applique, which is what I used to piece in the curves. (see block one tip)

G-8

I used EPP to complete this block.  Fussy cutting the fabric gave me the pretty floral illusion radiating from the center.  A simple block made better by the print of the fabric.


G-9

This block was entirely machine paper pieced and set into the row with EPP.  While ultimately, it was faster to do by machine, I think EPP would have given it a cleaner look.  The triangle tips would have fit together perfectly. 

G-10

I think that this block was one of the most difficult because it is made on the diagonal.  I entirely machine paper pieced it and it is set into the row with EPP.

 I should have marked this tip so it could be seen.  But if you look where the two D's are you would see a piece of tape holding the pieces together.  I found that there was no easy way to line up the pieces since they are set diagonally.  so I lined them up and taped them.  Then I could fold and pin and sew..  I took a seam ripper to slice the tape to remove the paper.  If you notice the green highlighted areas on the edge, that is to remind me to leave extra fabric so I can put the block on EPP paper.  I use 1/2" seam allowance.  that wraps the card nicely.

G-11

Although I could easily applique the diamonds on, I decided to machine paper piece those sections and EPP the block together. 

G-12

The modified for EPP version of this block had 28 pieces.  The original applique version has 3.  That's why I went with the original. 

G-13

This block is EPP and the curves are appliqued in.


Right now, I just finished joining the row.  Now to attach it to row F.  I am doing them in 3 row sections and then sewing them to the rest of the rows.  I am trying to minimize handling the main center section as much as possible until it is all together.

I am learning so much making this quilt, and I feel that I am using all of the skills that I have learned through the years.  I think there actually IS an end in sight!

Happy Sewing! Teri







No comments:

Post a Comment

STILL THINKING ABOUT IT

 After finally finishing all of the blocks for the center, and one border, I've probably taken too long of a break.. I still have 3 bord...